Thursday 31 January 2013

Teething Troubles!

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who has downloaded the new version of the app - I've just had my first feedback today from qurgh on the FeedHammer web site:

http://www.feedhammer.co.uk/feed-item-details.php?id=9765

Qurgh raises some good issues (and thanks for contacting me directly!). I've done a quick fix of 2 of them and released a new version onto the Play Store - 3.0.2 (it should be available in the next few hours):

I've also now set up some software to track these, and future errors/enhancements as they crop up. You can view the issue that have already been raised here:

JIRA FeedHammer Issue Tracker

Just to cover each of Qurghs issues:

"App resets to the first screen when the phone is rotated"
  • The latest version (3.0.2) should fix this

"why does the app need phone access permissions? I see no reason for an app of this nature to have permissions to be able to grab my phone number, check my phone call status or make calls as me"
  • This was a mistake on my part - when I set up the permissions I added this by mistake (READ_PHONE_STATE) when I was adding READ_NETWORK_STATE (which is needed to check the connection).
  • I have now removed this permission in 3.0.2

"There is no way to copy or share URLs"
  • I'll look into this - I was going to add the 'Share it' links from the website - but they would just mean more stuff to download to the mobile device, which I wanted to avoid initially. I'll look into this more (and also some native Android share it options)

"App crashes randomly"
  • I haven't seen this in my testing - but will test some more and monitor the crash alerts from Google to try and troubleshoot what the problem is

"Lots of lag when scrolling the feed lists"
  • Again - I haven't noticed this yet (seems pretty quick on my testing). Is this on any connection (WIFI?) or just on 2G/3G connections? I'll see if I can replicate it

"Instead of using a built in browser, can you give us the option to use an external browser for web links and the youTube app for youTube links?"
  • Any links using the buttons ('Read Full Article') - should open the external browser. I have noticed some issues where the articles themselves contain links - which if you click will open in the internal browser (which I guess is what you mean). This is a bit tricky as I might need to do some extra parsing of the HTML I pull down from the external feeds to add in some extra HTML - unless I can intercept these calls at a global level. I will look into it

I've added issues in the JIRA software for all of these issues - so I can track progress on them all:
JIRA FeedHammer Issue Tracker

If anyone has any more issues/requests/feedback - please let me know directly - either via email, the http://www.feedhammer.co.uk web site, or the Google group 




Thanks again for the feedback (and for making it directly to me) - it helps to make the product better! I hope to have more new releases very soon - watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment